Advisory for Undergraduates
1. Read the current undergraduate catalog first. You can access the catalog online. This contains vital, specific information for all students. Schedule a meeting with the School of Art and Design Academic Advisor. Call 404-413-5221 to make an appointment. This is a critical first step!
2. We encourage students interested in pursuing a B.F.A. Concentration declare their major as B.A. Studio Art. Art Historians are to declare their intentions as B.A. Art History upon acceptance to Georgia State University. B.F.A. Concentrations have a separate application process
3. All students including those who declare their interest in art should begin taking Area F requirements, art foundation core classes, during the first semester or as soon as possible. These classes are prerequisites for all Art and Design upper level courses and must be completed prior to progressing within your art discipline. Doing so will ensure you are on track to graduate. Additionally, you will receive Welch School of Art & Design email notifications of activities and information.
4. Transfer credit is reviewed by our Faculty by appointment for studio work. Upon acceptance to GSU a transfer student must complete portfolio reviews by the end of their first semester.
5. Your success within the program will be reflected by the amount of time you spend on your area of interest. For studio students, hard work in studio classes will help you perfect your craft and concepts and build a future in the arts. For art history students, the time invested in research and writing will give you the foundation to pursue opportunities in the field.
What classes will I need to earn a degree?
Whether you choose art history, art education or a studio degree, these charts help new students visualize their path through our programs.
Adam Wagner, Undergraduate Advisor