For the M.F.A. in Studio, please submit a one page artist statement that describes your current body of artwork and your studio practice. Please also submit a one to two page statement outlining your artistic goals and interests in pursuing graduate study at the Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design.
Applicants in the M.A. in the Art History, M.A. Ed. in Art Education, and M.A.T. must submit a one to two page statement of intent.
Additionally, the M.A. in Art History must submit writing samples.
All should be a Word or PDF document.
Please submit three letters of recommendation. Required by all graduate applicants.
- One unofficial transcript from all other schools that you have attended for your application. If accepted, you will be required to submit one official transcript from each school.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Online application portion. Physical applications not accepted. Begin applications here.
- The GRE is optional for MA in Art History applicants
Portfolios are only required for M.F.A., M.A. Ed., and M.A.T. applicants. A successful portfolio demonstrates creativity and commitment in a cohesive body of work. Admissions portfolios may include still images; film/video projects; musical performances/compositions; videos of acting/dance/performance. Portfolio may include one of the following:
Still image submissions
- Identify all materials with name and area of study. Include 20 images in either JPEG format (150 DPI, 1500 pixels on greatest dimension) or compiled into PDF or Powerpoint.
- A list with the titles of the work, dates, media and dimensions, along with name and area of study.
Moving image/sound submissions
- Identify all materials with name and area of study. Include no more than 6 minutes of audio-visual material.
- Work must be accompanied by a list with the title of the work, date, full running time, and the student’s role (e.g., director, actor, etc.) in each work.
- If an applicant wishes to include a mixture of stills, sound, written or moving images, then the materials should be divided evenly.
- Do not send additional work. If more materials are included than requested, the committee will only view the first 20 images or first 6 minutes. Submitting additional work is looked upon unfavorably by the committee.
School Director: Michael White
Associate Director: Tim Flowers
Business Manager: Candiss Addison
Public Relations Coordinator: Jac Kuntz
Administrative Coordinator: Liz Flamming
Gallery Director: Cynthia Farnell
Room 124 Art & Humanities Bldg.
10 Peachtree Center Avenue SE
Art & Humanities Building
Atlanta, GA 30303
Georgia State University
Ernest G. Welch School of
Art & Design
P.O. Box 3965
Atlanta, Georgia 30302-3965