Applicants for the M.F.A. degree must submit the following items:
- Three letters of recommendation. No form is required.
- Statement of Intent: A one-to-two-page statement of purpose describing academic interests, proposed area of specialization and long-range career goals. The statement should also explain how the graduate program will serve those interests and goals.
- The letters of recommendation and the statement of intent should be uploaded with the other application materials or sent to the Office of Graduate Programs.
- Portfolio: A successful portfolio demonstrates creativity and commitment in a cohesive body of work. Admissions portfolios may include still images, film/video projects, musical performances/compositions, videos of acting/dance/performance. The portfolio may include one of the following:
- 20 examples of work on CD
- Film/video projects – DVD or Quicktime on CD. Six minutes maximum.
- Musical performances/sound work/compositions. Six minutes maximum.
- Videos of acting/dance/performance. Six minutes maximum.
Do not send original work. Deadlines are not postmark deadlines but deadlines for completion of applications.
Materials must be in the Office of Graduate Programs by the deadline. It is recommended you submit all your materials a month in advance.
Still image submissions:
Label materials with name and area of study. Include no more than 20 images. Include the title of the work, date, medium and dimensions as part of your file and metadata. Include 20 images in JPEG format (150 DPI, 1500 pixels on greatest dimension).
Moving image/sound submissions:
Label materials with name and area of study. Include no more than six minutes of audio-visual material. Work must be accompanied by a list with the title of the work, date, running time and the student’s role (for example, director, actor, etc.) in each work and must be submitted in the appropriate file format for the medium.
If an applicant wishes to include a mixture of stills, sound, or moving images, then the materials will be divided evenly. For example, if still and moving images are submitted, 10 stills and three minutes of motion are allowed.