All full time University employees are expected to devote their primary professional loyalty, time, and energy to the educational, research, and scholarship programs of the University. Employees are encouraged to participate in professional activities (e.g. consulting, teaching, speaking, participating in business or service enterprise) that do not interfere with the regular and punctual discharge of official duties.
The specific responsibilities and professional activities that constitute an appropriate commitment will differ across Colleges/Schools and departments, but they should be based on a general understanding between the employee and his or her supervisor. Pursuant to University and Board of Regents policies, a full time University employee must submit this completed form to his or her supervisor and receive advance written approval (as evidenced by the supervisor’s signature on this form) before engaging in external activities.
1. A form must be completed for each separate activity.
2. Where approval relates to an activity that spans more than twelve months, the employee must again request approval at the beginning of each succeeding academic year applicable to the time period of the outside activity.
3. When the nature of an approved outside activity or the time committed to it changes significantly, subsequent to approval, an amended outside activity form must be filed.
4. A form is not required to be filed for activities undertaken by a faculty member employed on an academic year contract for activities which begin after the end of spring semester and are completed before the beginning of the succeeding fall semester, unless that faculty member is employed to teach one or more courses at the University during that summer semester.
5. When an employee undertakes appropriate outside activity, the following conditions are expected to be observed as part of the employee’s University obligations:
a. Follow established policies and processes to identify and gain prior approval to undertake any outside activity.
b. Engage only in outside activities that are in keeping with the employee’s position, that reflect positively on the department or academic unit and the University, and that do not compete directly with previously established activities associated with the University.
c. Do not use the University position to actively promote consulting or other outside activities for compensation.
d. Do not use University resources (space, equipment, personnel, or other University property) for outside activities, except where explicit permission has been obtained and appropriate arrangements for reimbursement have been established.
e. Be prepared to account for the actual amount of time devoted to approved outside activities and their appropriateness.
Temporary COVID Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Room 117 Art & Humanities Bldg.
Room 124 Art & Humanities Bldg.
10 Peachtree Center Avenue SE
117 Art & Humanities Bldg.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Georgia State University
Ernest G. Welch School of
Art & Design
P.O. Box 3965
Atlanta, Georgia 30302-3965